BAKE at 350° F. for 10 to 13 minutes. MAKES 2 ½ dozen.
- 1 ½ cups sifted Pillsbury’s Best Enriched Flour*
- ½ teaSpoon soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup bufler. Gradually add
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar, creaming well.
- l egg and
- 1 egg yolk; beat well. (Reserve white.)
- ¼ teaspoon French’s Vanilla and
- ? teaspoon French’s Maple Flavoring, if desired.
- the dry ingredients gradually; mix thoroughly. (Dough will
be soft. Chill, if desired.)
- split Funsten’s Pecan Halves in groups of three or five on
greased baking sheets to resemble head and legs of a turtle.
- dough into balls; dip bottom into unbeaten egg white and
press lightly onto nuts. Use a rounded teaspoonful of dough
for each, so tips of nuts Will show when cookie is baked.
- in moderate oven (350° F.) 10 to 13 minutes. Do not over-bake. Cool; frost tops generously.
If you use PiIIsbury’s Best Enriched Self-Rising Flour (sold in parts of the South),
omit soda and salt.
Combine 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate or ? cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces, ¼ cup milk and 1 tablespoon butter in top of double boiler. Heat over boiling water until chocolate melts; blend until smooth. Remove from heat; add 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar. Beat until smooth and glossy. If too thin, add additional confectioners’ sugar until of desired consistency.